Labels

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Trent's Frank Stroganoff

When Trent and I were dating, he kept saying he wanted to make me dinner and make Frank's Stroganoff. I saw a steak in the fridge at his house so I kept thinking the stroganoff was made traditionally, with the steak. Then he made it for me and I was shocked, I won't lie. It is not Frank's Stroganoff, it's Frank Stroganoff, and not named after my brother-in-law. It's actually made with hot dogs. Now wait a minute! Before you judge a book by it's cover...or a recipe by it's strange choice of proteins...believe me, this stuff is really good.

1 large onion, chopped
16 oz. package sliced fresh mushrooms, rough chopped
olive oil for sauteeing
1 full package hot dogs (best are beef hot dogs), sliced. Trent slices them pretty, all diagonal and fancy!
3 cans cream of mushroom soup (the normal size small cans)
Large tub sour cream (24 oz)
1 Package of wide or extra wide Egg Noodles

Saute onion, mushrooms, and hot dogs until the onions are soft. Add cream of mushroom soup and stir until soup is warm. Add half the sour cream and stir to combine, heating through. Add more sour cream to taste, Trent uses the whole thing. Warm through, keep on a low simmer while you boil your egg noodles. Serve sauce on top of the noodles.

If you want the sauce more thick, use Trent's mom's trick and add a brick of cream cheese, it thickens this nicely. And, you know, a little more fat thrown in there never hurts.

You can serve this over rice as well...it's good that way too.

Trent is making this for us tonight, it will make three full meals for us...serves at least 6.

If someone is so inclined, try it with beef strips, like a tenderized round steak sliced very very thinly across the grain. I would saute the steak first until just barely browned, remove, then saute the onion and mushroom, add the beef back in and continue with the recipe. Sounds so good, let me know if you try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment