Labels

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Holiday Stuffing

I make my own stuffing for holiday meals. My motto for stuffing is, you pretty much can't season stuffing enough. Dedicated to my Grampa Harper who LOVED sage...would tell my mom "Oh just go ahead and put more sage in there." I like small chunks of vegetables, so I cut them very fine. If you want larger onion and celery, just chop into larger pieces.

This is for a LOT of stuffing as I usually cook for between 15 and 20 people. Half it if you want.

2 bags stuffing bread cubes, the large bags at winco
2 cubes butter
2 large onions, diced very fine
1 celery bunch, cleaned and chopped very fine
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp dried sage
1 Tbsp dried thyme
2 Tbsp dried parsley
2 cans chicken broth

Heat butter in a skillet or stockpot and saute onion and celery until very soft but not browned. Place bread cubes in a large bowl and add all the spices and toss well to mix. Go ahead and add the little seasoning packet that comes with the bread cubes too. Toss it all together and pour the cooked celery/onion/butter over the seasoned bread cubes. Add 1 full can of chicken broth and toss. Test the dryness and flavor by tasting and add more chicken broth if it's dry and more seasonings to taste. I always end up adding a little more of all the spices and I will use both cans of broth, sometimes a little more. I like a moist stuffing so I use broth to the point of sort of a partly saturated stuffing bread, but not soggy. Just don't go too overboard with the broth. You can also add apples, raisins, walnuts, whatever, but if I did that, my husband would freak and ask me if I just turned into a granola-muncher.

Stuff some in the bird if you want. The rest goes into a baking dish into the oven to warm it through, probably 325 degrees for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment