Labels

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sugar Cookies

Growing up it was a tradition at our house to frost and decorate Christmas Cookies. All our cousins would come over and we'd all frost angels, christmas trees, ornaments, stars, santas, whatever cookie cutter shapes my mom had. Mom carried this tradition on with her grandkids, and I carried it on with my kids. It's fun, and this is the best roll-out cookie dough recipe I have ever used. My mom's! Makes a good cookie to frost and decorate. I always double this, but here is the basic recipe if you don't need quite as many cookies.

Sugar Cookies, Rolled
Makes about 3 Dozen

1 Cup Sugar
½ Cup Butter or Margarine (I use butter, of course!)
1 Egg
1 Tsp Vanilla
½ Cup Milk
3 ½ - 4 Cups Flour
½ tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda

Cream together butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Add egg and vanilla and mix.Mix 3 1/2 cups flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda together in a separate bowl. Alternately add dry ingredients and milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Form dough into a fat roll, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours, up to overnight.

Preheat oven to 350. Roll dough out on floured surface using a floured rolling pin to about 3/8”. Cut and bake on ungreased sheet for 10-15 minutes. (I start at 12 minutes and then check every minute.) For soft cookies, don’t allow them to brown, bake for 12-13 minutes.


Buttercream Frosting

1 cube butter, softened
½ bag powdered sugar (two heaping cups)
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp milk

Blend all together and add more milk, ½ tsp at a time. My mom liked a bit thinner icing for these, it was easier for kids to spread. Divide into small bowls and color with food or paste color.

No comments:

Post a Comment